Translation of EKKLHSIA

Marc Pembroke maplaw at gwi.net
Tue Aug 22 15:30:38 EDT 2000

> What makes you think it had a specifically "religious" tone when used by
the
> writers of the NT?  Isnt it possible that the NT writers merely used the
> word they had at hand for "assembly" with nothing denoted thereby other
than
> the fact that folk gathered together?

Recall that "ekklhsia appears at least 100 times in the Septuagint to
translate quahal and edah, which were the religious Jewish assemblies. So
after 300 years of  Biblical usage, it would seem to me that the New
Testament writers were using a term already known to refer to religious
assemblies.

Given the evident familiarity of the New Testament writers with Septuagint
translations, it would seem difficult to argue that their use of the term
came strictly from the general language of the time.

Marc A. Pembroke
P.O. Box 882
Jackman, ME 04945
USA