Translation of EKKLHSIA

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Tue Aug 22 13:51:01 EDT 2000

At 12:26 PM 8/22/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm interested in getting your thoughts on the best translation for
>EKKLHSIA.

I am personally partial to the word "assembly"- which is, in any event, what
the word means.  This term is neutral and allows the reader to interpret
contextually without the religious baggage associated with the word "church".

>I would particularly like to know what effect the members of this
>list think the use of this word in a religious context (referring to God's
>people) may have had on the development of the meaning of the word in the
>language as a whole.

Im not sure I know what you mean here.  Could you say it again?

best,

Jim

"going around stirring up apathy "

Jim West, ThD