reading Jewish-Hellenistic Greek

Maurice A. O'Sullivan mauros at iol.ie
Mon Aug 21 10:26:50 EDT 2000

At 01:52 21/08/00, David W. Suter wrote:

>The reference to the Hellenistic Greek reader is:
>
>Wikgren, Allen Paul, Hellenistic Greek texts [edited by] Allen Wikgren,
>with the collaboration of Ernest Cadman Colwell [and] Ralph Marcus
>(Chicago: U. of Chicago Press, 1947).
>
>David Suter

David:
Many thanks for that pointer --- and, would you believe it, it is still in
print and available form Amazon.com at $30.00

             >>      Availability: This title usually ships within 2-3 days.

                   Hardcover (June 1947)
                   University of Chicago Press; ISBN: 0226896889 ;
Dimensions (in inches):
                   1.03 x 9.51 x 6.38 <<

On July 26, 2000 this description was posted to the Amazon.com site:

                   Reviewer: IK JONG LEE (see more about me)
                   from Seoul, Seoul South Korea
                   This book has 277 pages. The first part of the book(more
than 80
                   pages) consists of selections from the Old and New
Testaments, and
                   Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha. The next parts are the
selections from
                   Philo, Jesephus, Early Christian Literature, Greek
papyri and
                   inscriptions, and the Pagan Hellenistic Greek. The Greek
words are
                   indexed on page 211 through the end. A short
introduction in English
                   was presented to every theme or to every author of the
Greek text.

                   The book was published more than half century ago (in
1947). Printed
                   in old typography on the old paper. Letters are small,
but legible.
                   Recommendable for those who would like to read original
Greek
                   text(especially in Koine Greek).

Regards
Maurice