John 15:8

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Mon Aug 21 10:07:56 EDT 2000

At 7:22 AM -0500 8/21/00, myron kauk wrote:
>>In John 15:8 we have:
>>
>>EN TOUTW EDOXASQH O PATHR MOU
>>INA KARPON POLUN FERHTE
>>KAI GENHSQE EMOI MAQHTAI
>>
>I'd like to take this discussion in a slightly different direction.
>
>I wonder if anyone is willing to see the antecedent of EN TOUTW as v 7 and
>give INA full final force.
>
>"In this (abiding, asking and receiving) is my Father glorified in order
>that you bear much fruit and prove to be my disciples."

Inasmuch as forms of hOUTOS do commonly point to a prior antecedent, I
don't think we could rule out that possibility. On the other hand, however,
EN TOUTWi + statement + substantive clause (hOTI ..., hOPWS ..., EAN ...)
is such a common structure that it's hard to see why this should be
different (cf. 1 Jn 4:9, 10, 13, 17, 5:2), and also hINA subjunctive
clauses in Koine, though commonly enough  final, are almost as commonly NOT
"full final" clauses but simple substantive clauses.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu