meaning of AUQENTEIN

Lucky Mele lucky.m at juno.com
Sun Aug 13 14:57:11 EDT 2000

Anthony:
AUQENTEIN is  a verb
AUQENTIAN in Mac 2:29 is the noun AUQENTIA, defined in the LEH lexicon
as:
"restriction, status," with the note: "neologism?"
The Rahlf's edition of the LXX shows AUQENTAS  [ not AUQENTIAN as you
cite
] at Wis. 12:6 which is the noun AUQENTHS, defined as "murderer"
I repeat: the verb AUQENTEIN ( a hapax in the N.T ) does NOT appear in
the LXX.

Maurice A. O'Sullivan:
You are absolutely correct AUQENTEIN is a verb: present, active,
infinitive. The verses I cited in the Septuagint/Apocrypha Maccabees 2:29
AUQENTIAN is a noun and Wisdom of Solomon 12:6 AUQENTAS a noun, but are
they not all formed from the stem AUQENT-. Liddell & Scott have this as
1.To have full power or authority over. 2. To commit a murder.
I realize that AUQENTEIN appears as a hapax legomenon in the NT, but I
was looking for an understanding of its use regardless of form to better
understand its meaning.
I am new to the study of Koine Greek and I apologize for my lack of
knowledge in this area. I rarely participate in this list because of my
ignorance on this subject. I do appreciate those on the list making me
aware of my errors.
Respectfully,
Anthony Mele