meaning of AUQENTEIN

Daniel Riaño danielrr at retemail.es
Sun Aug 13 13:07:08 EDT 2000

>At 17:49 11/08/00, Robert R Monti wrote:
>>I need some help. I'm trying to get some in-depth information on the
>>meaning of AUQENTEIN in 1 Tim. 2:12. Unfortunately, Kittel and BAGD have
>>been of surprisingly little use (I guess this is due to the fact that
>>this verse is the only one where AUQENTEW appears in the NT). Anybody
>>have any suggestions on what sort of extra-biblical sources I could
>  >consult? I haven't had the chance to check the Septuagint.

	The AU)QENTE/W lemma on the DGE includes about 15 quotations
of the word (mostly from papyri). All the quotations are given the
translation "ejercer la autoridad" except Sch.A.Eu.42a, wich is
translated "ser responsable de una muerte."

	The RBLG mentions only the Wilshire article already mentioned
by Clayton, in addition to Deissman's Licht von Osten pp. 69-70.
Thanks again to Clayton for his very interesting references to Knight
(to be added at the on-line RBLG addenda) and Graves!