Hermeneutics, 1 Tim. 2:12,and AUQENTEIN

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sun Aug 13 10:55:42 EDT 2000

At 6:25 AM -0500 8/13/00, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:
(citing Ward Powers)
>>The New RSV translation informs the reader in its footnotes to 1 Timothy
>>2:11-12 that the Greek can be translated alternatively as "I permit no wife
>>to teach or have authority over her husband". For reasons of context in 1
>>Timothy 2 and the 1 Peter 3 parallel, this is far and away the preferred
>>translation.
>
>It is a possible reading of the verse, but the traditional understanding of
>a church setting is far more likely. Paul does not have the authority to
>forbid a wife to teach her husband. But that is what Paul would be
>forbidding in 1 Tim 2:12 according to the above view. There are many other
>contextual indicators opposed to the above translation.
>
>				Yours,
>				Harold Holmyard

Since this passage of 1 Timothy has been a recurrent focus of B-Greek
discussion over the years and the same stances toward its "proper"
interpretation have (more or less) been the same ones, I'd like to repeat a
portion of a comment that I wrote on one of the more recent recurrences of
the discussion, and then append a comment on why we avoid discussion of
hermeneutics on B-Greek.