1 Tim. 2:12, meaning of AUQENTEIN

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Sun Aug 13 07:25:06 EDT 2000

>The New RSV translation informs the reader in its footnotes to 1 Timothy
>2:11-12 that the Greek can be translated alternatively as "I permit no wife
>to teach or have authority over her husband". For reasons of context in 1
>Timothy 2 and the 1 Peter 3 parallel, this is far and away the preferred
>translation.

It is a possible reading of the verse, but the traditional understanding of
a church setting is far more likely. Paul does not have the authority to
forbid a wife to teach her husband. But that is what Paul would be
forbidding in 1 Tim 2:12 according to the above view. There are many other
contextual indicators opposed to the above translation.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard