Advanced Hermeneutics (off topic)

clayton stirling bartholomew c.s.bartholomew at worldnet.att.net
Sat Aug 12 13:57:40 EDT 2000

I have been reading a book which sheds some light on the background of some
of our disagreements on b-greek. We cannot discuss this topic on b-greek but
perhaps I can get away with mentioning the book.

*****
Bartholomew, Craig  Reading Ecclesiastes. Old Testament Exegesis and
Hermeneutical Theory, Analetca Biblica #139  Roma, Pontificio Istituto
Biblico 1998
******

This book draws a clear map of the hermeneutical landscape. The author is
very lucid and he reduces the material under discussion to a manageable form
without trivializing it. This book is for advanced students. It assumes a
level of general knowledge which will perhaps be somewhat daunting to first
year seminarians.

The SBL review which is not as lucid as the book itself can be found here:

http://www.bookreviews.org/Reviews/8876531394.html

One little draw back of copy which I obtained from Oregon State U  is a
printers error which resulted in a number of blank pages (missing text) in
the back matter. This may not appear in the entire book run.

The book is listed in Eisenbrauns Scholars Source catalog.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point