1 Tim. 2:12, meaning of AUQENTEIN

Ben Crick ben.crick at argonet.co.uk
Fri Aug 11 17:06:15 EDT 2000

On Fri 11 Aug 2000 (12:49:28), robemon at regent.edu wrote:
> I need some help. I'm trying to get some in-depth information on the
> meaning of AUQENTEIN in 1 Tim. 2:12.

 The best I can offer is an attempted etymology (that old Etymological Fallacy
 again!):
 AUTOS + hENTHS  a workman on his own initiative; a self-starter; one who
 seizes the initiative; one who usurps authority over another; one who governs
 or exercises dominion over someone/something.

 AUQENTEIN ANDROS (genitive): to use authority /over/ a man (not just a
 husband); to 'lord it' over someone.

 Sorry, no documentation. Just what I've been told....

 ERRWSQE
 Ben
--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF