OFEILHMATA versus OFEILETAIS

Mark Wilson emory2002 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 11 14:23:53 EDT 2000

Regarding forgiveness:

Matt. 6:12

TA OFEILHMATA hHMWN
TOIS OFEILETAIS hHMWN

Matt. 6:14

EAN GAR AFHTE TOIS ANQRWPOIS TA PARAPTWMATA AUTWN

In verse 12, God forgives us the debt while we forgive the debtor. In verse
14 we forgive the sin. My question is this:

If a friend steals fifty dollars from me, do I forgive him of the debt, the
sin, or both?

In other words, are we commanded to forgive the debtor of the debt? Or
should we require (expect?) the debtor to repay the debt?

Maybe I should ask it this way: What are the debtor’s responsibilities in
this forgiveness event (process?) ??

If this is more of a theological question, please reply offlist if that
seems appropriate.

Thank you,

Mark Wilson