1 Tim. 2:12, meaning of AUQENTEIN

Robert R Monti robemon at regent.edu
Fri Aug 11 12:49:28 EDT 2000

Howdy B-Greekers,

I need some help. I'm trying to get some in-depth information on the
meaning of AUQENTEIN in 1 Tim. 2:12. Unfortunately, Kittel and BAGD have
been of surprisingly little use (I guess this is due to the fact that
this verse is the only one where AUQENTEW appears in the NT). Anybody
have any suggestions on what sort of extra-biblical sources I could
consult? I haven't had the chance to check the Septuagint.

Also, I have a question about the syntax of the verse. I noticed that
ANHR appears in the genitive here. Is this an example of the genitive
object? I seem to remember from Greek class that DIDASKW (and perhaps
AUQENTEW?) can take the genitive (as opposed to the accusative). What is
the significance of this contruction?

Thanks for the input,

Rob Monti
M.Div. Student