YEUDOS

Maurice A. O'Sullivan mauros at iol.ie
Fri Aug 11 11:32:08 EDT 2000

At 14:29 11/08/00, Stephen C. Carlson wrote:
>.  If you enter "plagiarism"
>you would get links to KLOPH, LOGOKLOPIA, and METATHESIS.  Under
>"sincerity," one finds hAPLOTHS, AFQARSIA, ALHQEIA, APLASTIA,
>EILIKRINEIA, EILIKRINOTHS, FILALHQEIA, and GNHSIOTES.  Often
>these words are close the English meaning, but not quite spot
>on,

Stephen:
I would suggest that the gap is much greater than you suggest, indeed in
the case of "plagiarism" a vast gulf.

"Plagiarism"  --- a word which did not even enter the English language
until the seventeenth century -- is illustrated in the SOED by this quote:

 >>>R. Ellman: Plagiarism is the worst of his crimes. He brazenly takes
over the best known passages<<

and you doubtless remember the U.S Democratic Party politician ( his name
escapes me at the moment ) who in the course of campaigning for the
Presidential nomination declaimed passages which were later found to be
taken from speeches of the British politician, Neil Kinnock. And that was
the end of his campaign.

I hardly think that in classical times taking the "best known passages" was
rated a crime, let alone the " worst of crimes"

Wasn't it in fact known as MIMHSIS?
It's my understanding that the manuals of rhetoric actually encouraged that
sort of thing.

I see from my LSJ that there is but a single citation for LOGOKLOPIA:
  , stealing of another's words or
                        thoughts, plagiarism, attributed to Empedocles by
                        Timae.81.

As "Timaeus Hist." is not on the Perseus CD or site, but is on TLG "E",
perhaps somebody with access to that (expensive) tool could give us the
context, before we decide that one swallow makes an entire summer.

Regards
Maurice

mauros at iol.ie