YEUDOS

Stephen C. Carlson scarlson at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 11 09:29:06 EDT 2000

At 12:48 PM 8/11/00 +0100, Maurice A. O'Sullivan wrote:
>"Sincerity" in this sense is a very modern concern, akin to our
>contemporary pre-occupation with plagiarism -- for the ancients, an
>incomprehensible notion.

The on-line LSJ has a nice feature in being able to search for
Greek words under English definitions.  If you enter "plagiarism"
you would get links to KLOPH, LOGOKLOPIA, and METATHESIS.  Under
"sincerity," one finds hAPLOTHS, AFQARSIA, ALHQEIA, APLASTIA,
EILIKRINEIA, EILIKRINOTHS, FILALHQEIA, and GNHSIOTES.  Often
these words are close the English meaning, but not quite spot
on, so one should please follow up on the citations and read
the words in context.

Stephen Carlson
Stephen C. Carlson                        mailto:scarlson at mindspring.com
Synoptic Problem Home Page   http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/synopt/
"Poetry speaks of aspirations, and songs chant the words."  Shujing 2.35