YEUDOS

Maurice A. O'Sullivan mauros at iol.ie
Fri Aug 11 07:48:58 EDT 2000

At 01:58 11/08/00, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>I would suggest therefore that, one ought less to suppose that one
>characterized as YEUD- or YEUDO- necessarily lacks sincerity, but rather
>one ought to emphasize that such a person or thing lacks integrity or
>authenticity or veracity

Yes, Carl I am in full agreement with that -- and would cite Louw-Nida:

In rendering YEUDODISASKALOS , it is important to avoid an expression which
will simply mean that a person pretends to be a teacher and is not. What is
important here is that the individual teaches what is not true.
<<<<<<<

A further point --- given the generally (?) accepted late date of
composition of 2 Peter, and the fact that Ignatius of Antioch (d. c110
)  declared ( Eph. 3,2 ):

I have therefore taken upon me first to exhort you that ye would all run
together in accordance with the will of God. For even Jesus Christ, our
inseparable life, is the [manifested] will of the Father; as also bishops,
settled everywhere to the utmost bounds [of the earth], are so by the will
of Jesus Christ.
<<<<

I think that any concern about the sincerity or otherwise of those who
proposed YEUDIDASKALOS would have been the last thing to be considered by
the author of 2 Peter.

"Sincerity" in this sense is a very modern concern, akin to our
contemporary pre-occupation with plagiarism -- for the ancients, an
incomprehensible notion.

Regards

Maurice

mauros at iol.ie