MAI/SAI/TAI ?

Mark Wilson emory2002 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 10 10:14:44 EDT 2000

Carl:

I was looking at this question when I ran across something in
this verse.

Eric wrote:

>I was reading Rev. 21:5 and wondering whether to translate it as: "Behold,
>I am making all things new" or "Behold, I make all things new."

The first part of this verse begins:

KAI EIPEN hO KAQHMENOS EPI TWi QRONWi

Let me quote you from a previous posting:

"generally speaking the MAI/SAI/TAI-MHN/SO/TO forms as well as the -QH-
forms are essentially either intransitive or reflexive in sense"

Is this participle a MAI ending?

This would appear to once again support your contention, I think.

How would you translate the Middle/Passive hO KAQHMENOS?

As a rookie, I would simply translate the Middle:

"The one seating himself"

And if Passive, it seems to make no sense:

The one having been placed on the seat ?????

The reason I ask is because I really do not feel like I have a good grasp of
Voice.

Would you mind giving a brief definition of Active, Middle, and Passive in
such a way as to distinquish them. As well, a brief definition of this rule
for MAI, by defining "intransitive" as compared to "reflexive."

Thank you,

Mark Wilson