Romans 8:28

Jay Adkins JAdkins264 at aol.com
Mon Aug 7 08:51:39 EDT 2000

FYI & FWIW:
Thought I would add the translation of Cranfield to this discussion along
with just a few of his comments (as he has almost 3 pages on this verse
altogether).

v. 28 And we know that all things prove advantageous for 'their true' (1)
good to those who love God, that is, to those who are called according to
his purpose.

(1) 'their true' is in italics in the original and not quotes.

"We said above that the purpose of vv. 28 - 30 was to underline the
certainty of that hope of which vv. 17 - 27 had spoken.  This certainty is
indicated by the first part of v. 28; but, had Paul said no more, its
fullness would not have been expressed.  This begins to be seen only when
it is realized that behind the love which those who are righteous by faith
have to God is God's prior calling of them according to His purpose.  The
certainty of the hope, of which Paul has spoken, rests ultimately on
nothing less than the eternal purpose of God.
29 - 30 are better understood as intended to support v. 28 as a whole than
as intended to explain just the last part of it (from 'that is' onward)."
Pages 204-205

The prescient views expressed by Jacques More are hardly new or convincing.
 Nor do I wish to invite discussion on the Theology of the verse.  The
translation itself "the ones called according to a displayed intent"; begs
the question, who's displayed intent?  Contextually, the only answer
appears to this little greek to be, QEOS.

Sola Gratia,
		Jay Adkins
Always Under Grace!