CWRISQHi - follow up

Mark Wilson emory2002 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 4 14:21:23 EDT 2000

>1 Cor. 7:11
>
>EAN DE KAI CWRISQHi
>
>“But if she does depart”
>

>  Mark:
>In one word -- idiom.
>
>Here is part of the entry from BAGD
>pass.—a. separate (oneself) , be separated of divorce . Oft. in marriage
>contracts in the pap.
>AP'  ALLHLWN CWRISQHNAI
>

>   (but if she does separate, NRSV
>   should not separate from her husband 7:11 (but if she does, RSV
>or if she has already left him,  NJB
>-and if she does separate  NAB

To me, to "separate one's self from" is Active or Middle, since the subject
is doing the action.

But "to be separated from" is Passive; the subject is acted upon.

Since we have the benefit of a context here, can the translation be:

"should not separate from her husband, but if she is separated from..."

Or, "if she has already been left behind..."

Are the above translations valid?

Thank you,

Mark Wilson