Oxyrhynchus Statistics

Wieland Willker willker at chemie.uni-bremen.de
Thu Sep 2 09:10:48 EDT 1999

This is on my rough count the statistics of the theological fragments found
at Oxyrhynchus (1 - 4449):

NT-Papyri: 	40 (Mt: 11; Jo: 10; Rom: 3; James: 3, Hebr: 2; Rev: 2...)
NT-vellum: 	7
NT-Apocrypha: 	24 (Hermas: 7)
OT-LXX: 	21 (1-5Mose: 9; Psalms: 6)
OT-Apocrypha: 	4 (Tobit: 2)

other theol. fragments: 27 (homilies, prayers, hymns...)
Philo: 	3

Most of the fragments are dated to the 3rd or 4th century. Some are dated
2nd cent. and some 5th and 6th. Two OT-LXX fragments are dated 1st century
(POxy 3522 and 4443).

It is interesting that only one late fragment from the prophets (Amos, POxy
846, VI cent.) has been found. I would have expected at least some Isaiah.

Best wishes
    Wieland
      <><
mailto:willker at chemie.uni-bremen.de
http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/

PS: Please check out my list of NT Papyri at:
http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/texte/Papyri-list.html

I still don't know what P99 is. Anyone?