Mt 3:2, 4:17, & 10.7

Steven Craig Miller scmiller at www.plantnet.com
Tue Nov 30 19:00:34 EST 1999

To: Joe A. Friberg,

<< The debate about whether HGGIKEN should be translated as 'come near' or
'arrived' is, IMHO, based more on one's overall eschatological emphasis
(Realized--Dodd, Initiated, etc.) rather than the meaning of this one verb.
The two meanings are both within the scope of the one word, and can at most
merely reflect a difference of completeness or degree. >>

I have some doubts as to whether or not these two meanings are both within
the scope of this one word. At the very least, in consulting BAGD, Louw &
Nida, and EDNT, none of these three suggests that EGGIZW sometimes means
"arrived" (or anything else which might substantiate Dodd's position). I
take this to mean that they disagree with C. H. Dodd. And although BAGD
cites Dodd, and (I assume) the debate on this issue in Expository Times,
EDNT simply ignored Dodd (at this entry). In addition, since Dodd made his
point based on supposed LXX usage, I will note that LEH also ignored Dodd,
and do not suggest that EGGIZW sometimes means "arrived" (or anything
similar). Furthermore, I will note the obvious, namely that EGGIZW
obviously derives from EGGUS which means "near."