Mounce's first year grammar

A K M Adam akm-adam at nwu.edu
Tue Nov 30 17:18:41 EST 1999

Michael Burer and all,

I second Jonathan's and Clayton's observations, with the further note
that among those of us who don't assent to Mounce's theological
conclusions, the Exegetical Insights are even more distracting--it's
hard to teach from a text that proclaims as an "insight" something
that one thinks exegetically suspect as well as theologically
off-kilter.

I hasten to add that I'm not claiming to be wiser in exegesis or
theology than Mounce, Wallace, Marshall, my old classmate Craig
Keener, or anyone--just to have reached different conclusions. And
it's hard to work with a text that's teaching at cross-purposes to
what you're trying to inculcate.

If you're sympathetic with Mounce, the Insights are a real plus. If
you aren't they're a real minus.

Grace and peace,
AKMA

--
Seabury-Western Theological Seminary
akm-adam at nwu.edu

To translate is human; to parse, divine.