GENNAW

Steve Long steve at allegrographics.com
Tue Nov 30 16:55:06 EST 1999

>There's an old-fashioned verb, "sire," which perhaps is more appropriate to
>animal husbandry than to standard GNT and patristic usage. I think that
>"generate" would be a pretty good term; it may, because of English
>cognates, appear rather mechanical, but this good Latin verbal root has
>good credentials: from GENER-, the root of GENUS, "produce of new one of
>one's kind."

If we are talking current English usage then 'fathered' is probably the
best translation. Abraham fathered Isaac, Isaac fathered Jacob, etc. It's
the only word I could think of that's currently used in that context.

Steve

Steve Long
Allegro Digital Media, Inc.

Print Host -- Order your printing online!
http://www.printhost.com/

Kinja -- What is it? You'll never know, unless you go.
http://www.kinja.com/