Mounce's first year grammar

Michael Burer burer at geocities.com
Tue Nov 30 15:58:32 EST 1999

Two list members, Jonathan and Carl, have recently made disparaging comments regarding the Exegetical Insights which Mounce includes at the front of most every chapter. I believe this deserves a response. It is very important to understand that these short vignettes serve a didactic purpose. Mounce's textbook is one of the few I have seen which has a clearly stated purpose and goal to help budding pastors, ministers, and exegetes learn the Greek of the New Testament (see the Rationale Statement, pp. xiii-xviii, and Chapter 2 "Learning Greek", p. 3-6). The Exegetical Insights obviously fit within that purpose, for they show the student that Greek pays dividends in understanding. It is also important to understand that he only wrote a few of them, so it is not accurate to infer that he is behind them all; other contributors include his father Robert Mounce, Daniel Wallace, Darrell Bock, I. Howard Marshall, Craig Keener, etc. I think it is an excellent feature to have such a variety of scholars contribute to these vignettes. Of course you may say that they are "irritating" or "distracting" because you do not agree with the overall theological stance Mounce has taken, but I may also say they are encouraging and helpful because I do agree with his stance and that helps me stay dedicated to the task of learning Greek. At the very least, the Exegetical Insights show Greek in action, and whether you agree or not with the resultant interpretation, seeing Greek in action is a helpful aspect of any grammar.

Best regards to all,
Michael Burer
Ph.D. Student
Dallas Theological Seminary