Shepherd of Hermas in BAGD

Bob Vincent rbvincent at xc.org
Tue Nov 30 15:13:32 EST 1999

Steven Craig Miller <scmiller at www.plantnet.com> wrote in response to Maurice
A. O'Sullivan's comment:
> << Running a search in the Logos program, I found what I consider a
> remarkable statistic:
> Occurrence of "Hermas" in BAGD: 4408 in 1761 >>
>
> I'm impressed that you have an electronic edition of BAGD (I didn't know
> that such existed). But I'm puzzled by the expression: "4408 in 1761",
what
> does this mean?

Dear Steven and Maurice,

BAGD 2nd edition is available through Logos:  http://www.logos.com/

The 4408 means that the word _Hermas_ is found 4408 times in BAGD, and that
there are references to _Hermas_ under 1761 different Greek words.

Bob

"The more one separates oneself from the canons of the Christian church, the
further one distances oneself from the truth . . . ..  Art is made of
itself, and one cannot create upon a creation, even though we are ourselves
graftings of Jesus Christ."
Igor Stravinsky in Vera Stravinsky and Robert Craft _Stravinsky in Pictures
and Documents_ (New York:  Simon and Schuster, 1978), p. 295

Robert Benn Vincent, Sr.
Grace Presbyterian Church
4900 Jackson Street
Alexandria, Louisiana 71303-2509