GENNAW

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Tue Nov 30 13:56:27 EST 1999

At 01:50 PM 11/30/99 -0500, you wrote:
>   When used of a man, GENNAW is usually translated something like
>"beget" (e.g., Ps. 2:7: "You are my son, today I have begotten you").  But
>what does beget mean?  Or better, what does GENNAW mean?

Bart- generally I render it "fathered".  I.e., in the geneaology of Matt. I
translate "Abram fathered Isaac... etc"

> Does it mean
>"make a woman pregnant?"  Or "to be/become the father of a child that has
>just been born?"  Or something else?  Could it mean "to give birth" even
>if applied to a man (or to a God)?

I dont think "to give birth" really works when used of a male.  This is one
of those places where the science of translation has to make way a bit for
the art of translation.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD