First year grammar

Cindy Smith cms at dragon.com
Mon Nov 29 12:21:32 EST 1999

Oh, yes, another pet peeve:  the word "ain't."  "Ain't" literally means
"am not" and it is therefore technically correct to say "I ain't" or
"ain't I" but because some anal-retentive bishop in the late Middle Ages
(or thereabouts) thought the contraction was used incorrectly by people
saying "he ain't" meaning literally "he am not," he said  the word "ain't"
was always incorrect.  He was wrong.  In the South, the word "ain't" is
used for emphasis, as in "I ain't" gonna do something.  I wonder if
Hebrew teachers ever taught  their students that certain Hebrew words or
phrases were incorrect?   Does the Talmud ever speak of such things?

Cindy Smith				   Spawn of a Jewish Carpenter
GO AGAINST THE FLOW! \\ _\\\_     _///_ // A Real Live Catholic in Georgia
cms at dragon.com       >IXOYE=('> <`)=  _<<  "Delay not your conversion
cms at romancatholic.org//  ///       \\\  \\   to the LORD, Put it not off
cms at 5sc.com				     from day to day" Ecclus/Sira 5:8