Mt 3:2, 4:17

Mark Goodacre M.S.GOODACRE at bham.ac.uk
Mon Nov 29 11:52:08 EST 1999

On 29 Nov 99, at 7:16, Steven Craig Miller wrote:

> On the other hand, C. H. Dodd has argued, in his "The Parables of the
> Kingdom" (1935, 1936), that in the LXX the Greek verb EGGNIZW is sometimes
> used to translate a Hebrew verb which means "arrive." And so Dodd suggests
> that  HGGIKEN (at Mk 1:15; Mt 3:2; 4:17) could be translated as "has
> come."

For an old but still excellent critique of Dodd's translation &
general view, see R. H. Fuller, _The Mission and Achievement of Jesus_
(London: SCM, 1954), pp. 20-35

> As an aside, one might note that according to the Two-Source hypothesis,
> Mt 4:17 derives from Mk 1:15; and Mt 3:2 appears to have been Matthew's
> attempt to make the preaching of John the Baptist parallel with Jesus'
> preaching.

Always the pedant, I must refine the above to "according to the theory
of Markan Priority" -- it's true of Farrer too.

Mark
Dr Mark Goodacre                mailto:M.S.Goodacre at bham.ac.uk
  Dept of Theology                tel: +44 121 414 7512
  University of Birmingham     fax: +44 121 414 6866
  Birmingham  B15 2TT  United Kingdom

http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
   The New Testament Gateway
   Mark Without Q