Mt 3:2, 4:17

Steven Craig Miller scmiller at www.plantnet.com
Mon Nov 29 08:16:36 EST 1999

To: David A Bielby,

<< In my further study of Matthew 4:17 some questions are coming up. I'm
wondering what the force of the Perfect tense in the word HNGIKE in Mt 3:2,
4:17 is, and how that impacts the rest of the sentence?  Why wouldn't
Matthew use the Aorist here? What are the implications of the Perfect
Active Indicative syntactically?   It seems to me that Jesus may be saying
here that the kingdom has fully come near...or completely arrived.  Is this
a correct reading?  Maybe He's saying: Because the kingdom of heaven is
'right here in full measure or presence you must repent. >>

Normally the verb EGGIZW means "come near" and not "arrive." And putting
this verb in the Perfect tense doesn't make it mean more the latter. And
so, the NRSV translates HGGIKEN as "has come near" (at Mk 1:15; Mt 3:2; 4:17).

On the other hand, C. H. Dodd has argued, in his "The Parables of the
Kingdom" (1935, 1936), that in the LXX the Greek verb EGGNIZW is sometimes
used to translate a Hebrew verb which means "arrive." And so Dodd suggests
that  HGGIKEN (at Mk 1:15; Mt 3:2; 4:17) could be translated as "has come."

Commenting on HGGIKEN at Mk 1:15, Burist M. Fanning, in his "Verbal Aspect