Etymology of AGAQOS

Steven Craig Miller scmiller at www.plantnet.com
Thu Nov 25 21:17:37 EST 1999

To: Clayton Stirling Bartholomew, Carl W. Conrad, Daniel Riaño Rufilanchas,
et al.,

Thanks for your many replies, I greatly appreciate it. I guess it seems
that the similarities between A-GAQ-OS and the Gothic "god" & "good" are
purely accidental and superficial. Unfortunately I don't read German, nor
French, so these newer etymological sources won't do me any good. The only
recent English resource on etymology which I've seen is: "New Comparative
Grammar of Greek and Latin" by Andrew L. Sihler (Oxford UP, 1995), which
attempts to replace Buck's "Comparative Grammar of Greek and Latin" (U of
Chicago P, 1933). I personally found Sihler's work much more difficult to
read than Buck's.

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller at www.plantnet.com

"For the ancients, to mediate is to read a text and to learn it 'by heart'
in the fullest sense of this expression, that is, with one's whole being:
with the body, since the mouth pronounced it, with the memory which fixes
it, with the intelligence which understands its meaning, and with the will
which desires to put it into practice" (Jean Leclercq, "The Love of
Learning and the Desire for God: A Study of Monastic Culture," 1961:17).