Etymology of AGAQOS

Daniel Riaño danielrr at retemail.es
Thu Nov 25 17:29:42 EST 1999

To start by the end:
>Are etymological studies out of fashion today? Or are they merely suffering
>the same fate as classical studies generally? Has there been any new Greek
>etymological studies in English lately?

	Etymology is alive and well!. The main reference works are:

* Chantraine, Pierre. 1968-1983. Dictionnaire Étymologique de la Langue
Greque. Paris: Klinksieck.
* Frisk, H. 1960-1971. Griechisches etymologisches Woerterbuch. Heidelberg.

Both of them, and specially Chantraine's are clear and easy to consult. To
these, you must add:
* Pokorny, J. 1959-1969. Indogermanisches etymologisches Woerterbuch. Berna.

	Those book superseded previous reference books, and at the same
time, every year appear hundreds of papers, often with corrections to the
above reference books in the main journals, (Glotta, IF, Die Sprache, etc,
etc.). For Greek etymologies, you should consult also the DGE and DMic.

>Perhaps this question is a little off-topic, since it is not about Biblical
>Greek Grammar. But I was wondering what is the current opinion concerning
>the etymology of AGAQOS.

	About the etymology of A)GAQO/S, after a 3/4 page discussion
Chantraine concludes: "controversée et incertaine". He just mentions a
possible relation with the family of Gr. XA/SIOS or with Sanskrit (from a
different word family) GA/DHYA-. Frisk suggest A)GA- augmentative with a
-QOS suffix. DGE s.v. "La existencia de A)KAQO/S y XA/SIOS apunta hacia un
origen no griego. las diversas hipótesis propuestas no resultan
satisfactorias."

Daniel Riaño Rufilanchas
Madrid, España

Por favor, tomad nota de la nueva dirección de correo: danielrr at retemail.es