1 Kings 1:15 (LXX)

Steven Craig Miller scmiller at www.plantnet.com
Tue Nov 23 08:34:57 EST 1999

To: Carl W. Conrad,

<< The only LXX text I have available at home reads GUNH hHi SKLHRA hHMERA
EGW EIMI; i.e. hHi is a relative pronoun, not an article; given this text,
I would understand the Greek with SKLHRA as the predicate adjective n. pl.
and hHMERA as the subject n. pl. with an implicit ESTI thus: "I am a woman
for whom soft things are hard." That is, I understand hHMERA here as a
neuter plural form of the adjective hHMEROS,-A,-ON. >>

Without implying anything, one way or the other, as to the merits of your
interpretation, would I be correct to suggest that the editor (Alfred
Rahlfs) of the LXX does not concur with you since he accented hHMERA as an
paroxytone rather than a proparoxytone? For according to my intermediate
LS, the accent on hHMERA  ("day") is on the penult, whereas the accent on
hHMEROS is on the antepenult (which is the way it appears at 4 Macc 2:14 &
14:15). (By this I don't mean to suggest that the editor was necessarily
correct.)

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller at www.plantnet.com

"... when Christ requires us ... to hate our own life in this world, is
there then a single one among us whose life in the remote degree could be
called even the weakest effort in this direction?" (Soren Kierkegaard,
"Attack Upon 'Christendom,'" 38).