PWS SUNECOMAI

Dave Palmer HoLogos at ilovejesus.com
Sat Nov 20 13:17:14 EST 1999

Dear b-greekers,

Luke 12:50 reads:

BAPTISMA DE ECW BAPTISQHNAI, KAI PWS SUNECOMAI hEWS hOTOU TELESQHi

I notice that many of you have read the NT in other languages, and I would
be interested in hearing how they translated PWS SUNECOMAI here.  There is
a spread of renderings in English translations:

KJV   how am I straitened till it be accomplished
ASV   how am I straitened till it be accomplished
Yng   how am I pressed till it may be completed
Wmth  how am I pent up till it is accomplished
NKJV  how distressed I am till it is accomplished
NASB  how distressed I am until it is accomplished
NIV   how distressed I am until it is completed
REB   what constraint I am under until it is over
NAB   how great is my anguish until it is accomplished
JB    how great is my distress till it is over
RSV   how I am constrained until it is accomplished
NRSV  what stress I am under until it is completed
JNT   how pressured I feel till it's over
RCV   how I am pressed until it is accomplished
CBW   how I am pressed with anguish till it is accomplished
NCV   I feel very troubled until it is over
CEV   I will have to suffer a lot of pain until it is over
NLT   I am under a heavy burden until it is accomplished
Mess  how I long for it to be finished

So we have:
straitened, pent up, pressed, distressed, constrained, anguished, stressed,
pressured, troubled, suffering a lot of pain, under a heavy burden, and
longing for it to be finished.

Thanks

Dave Palmer
HoLogos at ilovejesus.com