BAGD2

Steven Craig Miller scmiller at www.plantnet.com
Wed Nov 17 17:34:40 EST 1999

I was on vacation last week and in reading last week's archives I came
across speculations concerning BAGD2. It has now been some time since I
heard Danker's explanation of BAGD2 at a local SBL meeting, but my
impression was that the biggest difference between BAGD1 and BAGD2 is that
BAGD2 is supposed to get away from merely presenting English glosses for
Greek words and in its place present "definitions" for Greek words, based
on modern semantics. The impression given was that this will revolutionize
NT Greek lexicography. Danker also noted that the (then) recent German
edition of Bauer's lexicon (by Aland, I think) failed to included BAGD's
many improvements and thus German students really need to use BAGD's
English translation.

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller at www.plantnet.com

"The use of argumentation implies that one has renounced resorting to force
alone, that value is attached to gaining the adherence of one's
interlocutor by means of reasoned persuasion, and that one is not regarding
him [or her] as an object, but appealing to his [or her] free judgment.
Recourse to argumentation assumes the establishment of a community of
minds, which, while it lasts, excludes the use of violence" (Ch. Perelman
and L. Olbrechts-Tyteca, "The New Rhetoric: A Treatise on Argumentation," 55).