PARABOLH in Heb 11:19

Egor Aristov aristov at mail.ur.ru
Wed Nov 17 03:10:34 EST 1999

Dmitriy Reznik wrote:
>Dear friends,
>
>I wonder if PARABOLH in Heb 11:19 (hOQEN AUTON KAI EN PARABOLHi EKOMISATO)
>can mean "risk". I would be grateful for any help in translating this
>passage.

Dear Dmitriy,

  there seem to be actually more than one interpretation of EN PARABOLHi. According to VINE's Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words the word PARABOLH (translated as FIGURE in KJV) refers to return of Isaac that "was [...] figurative of resurrection". However it is not clarified here whose resurrection is meant. Probably the resurrection of Isaac is in view, for he was due to faith of Abraham intended for inevitable death, so that recovering of him was equal to his resurrection from dead. But couldn't the return of Isaac be anderstood as the parable of resurrection of Christ? The russian Synodal Version renders PARABOLH in this passage by the russian word [predznamenovaniye], which means OMEN. In this case - I suppose - EN PARABOLHi is interpreted "as prophetic sign (of resurrection of Christ)".

Georgiy Aristov