PARABOLH in Heb 11:19

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Mon Nov 15 21:18:41 EST 1999

At 8:44 PM -0500 11/15/99, Dmitriy Reznik wrote:
>Dear friends,
>
>I wonder if PARABOLH in Heb 11:19 (hOQEN AUTON KAI EN PARABOLHi EKOMISATO)
>can mean "risk". I would be grateful for any help in translating this
>passage.

I think rather that the sense here is "in a figurative sense." That is to
say, Abraham received Isaac, whom he did in fact offer up before the Lord,
BACK FROM DEATH--not in the literal sense that Isaac was dead and raised to
new life, but that Isaac's life was forfeit--Abraham had surrendered it to
God to do with as God saw fit, so that when God saw fit for Isaac to live
as Abraham's heir, Abraham did, in a figurative sense, receive Isaac back
"from the dead."

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu