Hebraisms in Syoptics

Rion K. Reece yoshua at tky2.3web.ne.jp
Sun Nov 14 20:08:05 EST 1999

I just received a little book by David Bivin and Roy Blizzard Jr.
entitled Understanding the Difficult words of Jesus.  If anyone has read
this, will you please comment on the following statements made in this
book?

1.  The synoptic gospels and part of acts show signs of being translated
from Hebrew.

2.  Jesus' words in Luke 23:31, "For if they do these things in the
green tree, what shall be done in the dry" are a referrence to Ezekiel
20:47".. say to the forest of the Negeb, Hear the word of the LORD: Thus
says the Lord GOD, I will kindle a fire in you, and it shall devour
every green tree in you and every dry tree; "

     2b. and that "the green tree" was a specific claim to messiahship
     which would be well understood at the time.

3.  Jesus' words in Mathew 11:12, " From the days of John the Baptist
until now the kingdom of
heaven has suffered violence, and the violent take it by force." are a
midrash of Micah 2:12,13

"2 I will surely gather all of you, O Jacob, I will gather the survivors
of Israel; I will set them together like sheep in a fold, like a flock
in its pasture; it will resound with people.13 The one who breaks out
will go up before them; they will break through and pass the gate, going
out by it. Their king will pass on before them, the LORD at their head.

where the one who breaks out is John the Baptist and the Lord is
understood to be Jesus.  Can  BIAZETAI be taken as 'break out', and if
so, would that make sense of the text?

I have a feeling that much of this hypothesis is dependent on the
afore-mentioned Imnotkiddingensis written in cross-brown crayola ;-) but
I would love to have some help in sorting it out.  Thanks to all.

Rion Reece
yoshua at tky2.3web.ne.jp