Mt 9:2

Carlton Winbery winberyc at speedgate.net
Sat Nov 13 20:03:35 EST 1999

Fr. Nelson Medina wrote;

>    In Mt 9:2 we read: "KAI IDWN hO IESOUS THN  PISTIN AUTWN...".   Could
>that "AUTWN" include the PARALUTIKON  himself?

This seems to me to be one of those questions that we answer by our own
assumptions. Since AUTWN is plural and probably masculine, it could include
the paralytic. It could I suppose refer just to those carrying him, but I
see no reason in the text for such a limitation. I am sure the gospel
writer assumed that he permitted himself to be brought to Jesus.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
winbery at speedgate.net