grant

Carlton Winbery winberyc at speedgate.net
Sat Nov 13 14:07:22 EST 1999

Grant wrote;
>    I have been part of B-Greek for a few weeks but I'm learning  Greek.
>I >have a limited knowledge.  My question is: "At Luke 17:21,    "oude
>erousin >idou wde h ekei idou gar h basileia tou yeou entov umwn estin"
>can  this be >translated "The Kingdom of God is in your midst or the
>Kingdom of God is  >inside of you."  Aside from any religious beliefs, is
>"in your midst" an  >acceptable translation?  The reason i say this is
>because if it is  translated >"inside of you" it gives the idea that the
>Kingdom of God is a heart  condition >which i sincerely don't feel fits
>the context of the passage and how  >you(plural) is relating to the
>Pharisees as the subject.  I don't even know  if >i am writing to
>the correct place but i would much appreciate a  clarification. >
>sincerely, grant

Grant, first of all we would like to know a bit more about you. Would you
please develop a signature or otherwise include something of who your
and/or what you do.

Luke 17:21 OUDE EROUSIN: IDOU hWDE H EKEI IDOU GAR hH BASILEIA TOU QEOU
ENTOS hUMWN ESTIN. I can read my transliteration better than yours.

ENTOS hUMWN ESTIN can be translated either "in you" (inner reality as over
against external, visible [PARATHRHSEWS]) or "among you." I think though
that the last meaning would have been conveyed better by using EN hUMIN. I
think that the former reading fits nicely into this context.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
winbery at speedgate.net