Is it a question or not Mk 1.24b

Joe A. Friberg JoeFriberg at email.msn.com
Thu Nov 11 23:52:49 EST 1999

I truly acknowledge the *possibility* of "us" refering to man + demon, but
doubt the probability of this reference.  I doubt that this is the *usual*
form of reference by a demoniac.  One might compare the "we" of Mk 5.9, but
that represents a third option: pluarality of demons.  While you have
presented references and arguments puported to support the possibility of
"us" refering to man + demon (or man + Spirit as the case may be), do you
have any *examples* of such?  (There may be some, but I can't think of
them.)

I see nothing in the current context that necessitates the reading man +
demon: the introduction of the character is singular in v.23; I would fully
expect the congregation heard "us" and included themselves as opposed to
this outsider Jesus, for I do not think they would stop to ponder, 'O, this
man must be demonized since he is acting this way, therefore the demon must
be speaking and including just himself/itself and the man in "us"'; I also
expect the demon was speaking more for the ears of the congregation rather
than to dialogue with Jesus.

This passage in Mark is high drama, not a theological treatise on
demonology!

God Bless!
Joe Friberg