hALAS MWRANQHi

Ben Crick ben.crick at argonet.co.uk
Thu Nov 11 07:03:18 EST 1999

On Wed 10 Nov 1999 (12:45:55), hologos at ilovejesus.com wrote:
> My primary question is, in Luke 14:35,  hALAS MWRANQHi...OUTE EIS GHN
> OUTE EIS KOPRIAN EUQETON ESTIN, is the EIS meaning "as" or "for"?  fit
> AS soil, or fit FOR the soil?  I understand that their salt came from
> the Dead Sea.  After it might go flat with age or exposure, would it be
> suitable AS dirt itself?  Or, was it fertilizer- containing some
> minerals beneficial?  Bauer says that salt was sometimes used as
> fertilizer.  Another scholar says that salt was sometimes used to make
> the soil of one's enemies infertile!  Which is it?  I can't imagine
> Dead Sea salt, even impotent, being good for your garden.  But if the
> salt was rock salt obtained from a mountain, or from the grinding up of
> certain species of plant, that seems more conceivable.

 Hi Dave

 If I may interject a non-Greek element: there is a Chemistry jingle
 "Acid plus Base yields Salt plus Water". IMHO "Salt" hALAS can mean any
 chemical salt, not just exclusively Sodium Chloride for the table.

 In Chemistry, there is a whole range of substances called "Halides":
 compounds of fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine and astatine. You may
 be reading this by the light of Halogen lamp - hALAS KAI FWS !

 Some halides may well be good for fertiliser (there is iodine in seaweed-
 derived fertiliser); but unpalatable or even poisonous on food!  (Bromide
 in the tea!)

 ERRWSQE
 Ben
--