Song of the Sea LXX

clayton stirling bartholomew c.s.bartholomew at worldnet.att.net
Wed Nov 10 23:10:37 EST 1999

----------
>From: "Steve Puluka" <spuluka at hotmail.com>

>Our current English translation for the service on verse 11 is:
> Who is like You among the gods, O Lord?
> Who is like to You, magnificent in Holiness?
> O terrible in renown, worker of wonders.
>
> Naturally, this is rendered from the LXX version with a pass through the Old
> Slavonic for my jurisdiction.

Steve,

Thanks for bringing me back to this. I was just now reading about this
problem in F. M. Cross,  Canaanite Myth and Hebrew Epic, Harvard 1973,
see page 129 n61.

Some more thoughts on the original question. The question has been
modified substantially since I have had a week or so to think about it.

Ex 15:11 a & b,

TIS hOMOIOS SOI EN QEOIS, KURIE;

TIS hOMOIOS SOI, DEDOXASMENOS IN hAGIOIS,

The MT has bakodesh (singular) for IN hAGIOIS. This leads a lot of
translators and some commentators to ignore the LXX reading which I
think is a mistake. Frank Moore Cross states "kds is to be taken as a
collective as suggested by J. T. Milik" and he sees support for this in
the plural rendering hAGIOIS of the LXX.

These two lines in the LXX give evidence that the Hebrew vorlage of the
LXX was intended to be read as a parallel structure here. So rather than
"majestic in holiness" (NIV, U. Cassuto) we might translate the MT
"Majestic among the holy ones" (Everett Fox) or  "terrible among the
holy ones" (F.M. Cross).

If your English rendition which you read in your services you seem to be
following the English versions rather than the LXX. I cannot speak for
the CS (Church Slavonic) version but I can find out about this. I do
know someone who is fluent in all three languages and can compare the
MT, the LXX  and Church Slavonic. I will find out if this parallelism is
represented correctly in the CS version.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point