ELPIS and PISTIS

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Sun Nov 7 08:14:21 EST 1999

At 05:43 PM 11/7/99 +1100, you wrote:
>I hope this subject is acceptable for b-greek.
>I have often pondered the difference between ELPIS and PISTIS. They would
>seem to be close in meaning. Is it legitimate to see the former as having a
>more future point of view, and the latter as being related to God's past
>actions?

No- they neither one have to do with past or future action in and of
themselves.  Rather elpis denotes confidence and pistis denotes authentic
reliability.  when one has elpis one has confidence that God (or someone
else) will do what has been stated.  Pistis, however is used to describe
that which is reliable, authentic, stable, trustworthy.
the difference between the two is the same as the difference between the
english words "confidence" and "reliability".

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
jwest at highland.net