Hermas Vis. I.i.3

Stporfiri at cs.com Stporfiri at cs.com
Sun Nov 7 02:12:08 EST 1999

The final sentence in Hermas Vis. I.i.3 is clear in its purport, but obscure
in one point.   Why does a verb in the subjunctive mood surface in a steady
stream of indicatives?  The outline of the sentence is DIABAS . . . TON
POTAMON . . . HLQON EIS TA OMALA KAI TIQW TA GONATA KAI HRXAMHN PROSEUCESQAI.
 When I checked Lake's translation, I found that he paid the subjunctive no
attention at all.  I will appreciate any helpful comments on this puzzle or
directions to the relevant grammar-books.

Dan Monroe, Latin/Greek teacher
Marshfield High School
Coos Bay, Oregon