A verse by verse parsing of the NT

Steven Craig Miller scmiller at www.plantnet.com
Fri Nov 5 15:22:17 EST 1999

To: Bret Hicks,

<< I was wondering if there is any book which is a good guide to parsing in
the NT that goes verse by verse. >>

The best verse by verse resource is: "A Grammatical Analysis of the Greek
New Testament" by Max Zerwick and Mary Grosvenor (Rome: Biblical Institute
Press). In the US, one can obtain a copy at Loyola Press (800-621-1008).

Something similar (but IMO not quite as good, but maybe I only think that
because I got into the habit of using Zerwick-Grosvenor) is: "Linguistic
Key to the Greek New Testament" by Fritz Rienecker (Zondervan).

Then there is also: "A Parsing Guide to the New Testament" by Nathan E. Han
(Herald Press). This resource deals with just verbs, but it parses almost
every verb in the NT verse by verse, but it does not offer any translation
hints.

Zerwick-Grosvenor attempts to deal verse by verse with any type of problem
over which an intermediate student might stumble, including rare words,
strange syntax, and parsing irregular verbs. It assumes very little, anyone
with at least one year of Greek would benefit from it. I read the Greek NT
together with my pastor (almost) once a week. We both have our copies of
Zerwick-Grosvenor handy to help us over any bumps as we read along.
Occasionally we will stumble across something where Zerwick-Grosvenor
doesn't help, but that is pretty rare. My only complaint is that I wish
they would cover the Iliad and Odyssey as well! <g>

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller at www.plantnet.com

 From Luther's Large Catechism: "Why, do you think, is the world now so
full of unfaithfulness, shame, misery, and murder? It is because everyone
wishes to be his or her own master, be free from all authority, care
nothing for anyone, and do whatever he or she pleases. So God punishes one
knave by means of another" (BoC 386.154).