Present tense as a zero tense

Rodney J. Decker rdecker at bbc.edu
Tue Nov 2 07:01:32 EST 1999

>I have reread Stanley Porter's chapter on the Future tense and have come =
>to understand his basic description of its aspect as "expectation".  This =

Technically speaking, that's NOT what Porter says. Porter argues that the
future is "aspectually vague." The semantic force of "expectation" is not
an aspect, but is the semantic force of the future form--which is as much
mood as "tense." There are only 3 aspects in Porter's system (perfective,
imperfective, stative), not 4.

Rod

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D.       Baptist Bible Seminary
Assoc. Prof./NT  PO Box 800, Clarks Summit, PA 18411
rdecker at bbc.edu      http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/
The *Resources for NT Study* site is accessible at:
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/rd_rsrc.htm