Heb 2:18 PEPONQEN, PEIRASQEIS

Jonathan Robie jonathan.robie at sagus.com
Fri Jul 30 08:47:18 EDT 1999

Hebr 2:18 EN HWi GAR PEPONQEN AUTOS PEIRASQEIS

I am not sure that I have grasped the aspect of PEIRASQEIS in combination
with the perfect verb PEPONQEN, and I am not sure what the force of
PEIRASMOS is in this context. PEPONQEN is pretty clear here, but does
PEIRASQEIS mean "having been tempted" in this context, e.g. "he has
suffered, having been tempted"? I assume that the event time of PEIRASQEIS
is the same as that of PEPONQEN, so that the suffering and testing occured
at the same time, that the perfect focuses on the resulting state, and that
PEIRASQEIS focuses on the time of the testing itself? Is the function of
the phrase to bring out both the state of having been tested and the time
of testing/temptation, saying that both knowing what it is to be tested and
having made it through are reasons that Jesus can help those of us who are
tested?

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Robie