Hair-splitting for the Bald

Paul S. Dixon dixonps at juno.com
Mon Jul 12 12:40:12 EDT 1999

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 09:22:07 -0500 "Edgar M. Krentz" <emkrentz at mcs.com>
writes:

>This is a very interesting thread. I wonder, however, whether some of
>these statistics might not be deceptive. I think that it should be
>restricted to the indicative mood. For example, one would get a
preponderance >of aorist infinitive forms of  LAMBANW over present and
perfect infinitives,
>simply because that is the infinitive form of preference.
>
>At the least, Daniel, I would be interested in knowing the statistics
>for the different moods. The rarity of any perfect infinitives would
skew
>the interpretation, IMHO. ;-)

I agree, Edgar.  It would be very interesting to compare the ratios
of perfect indicatives/aorist indicatives in the Classics, the LXX,
and the GNT.  I would like some evidence to support the thesis
that the aorist is increasingly assuming the functions of the
perfect and pluperfect, at least in the indicative mood.

Paul Dixon