George Blaisdell maqhth at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 31 15:07:46 EST 1999

>From: "One of the McKays" <music at fl.net.au>

>...but in Rev 13:6

>KAI HNOIXEN TO STOMA AUTOU EIS BLASFHMIAS PROS TON QEON

>And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God
>is a good translation. "To God" would not be good English, nor would
>it convey that the speaker was doing the opposite from the disciples
>in the great prayer in Acts 4:24

David ~

You are [imho] correct in this understanding, and my question then
becomes:

Why not the more literal translation? ~ Such as:

'And he opens the mouth of him into blashphemy toward [the] God.', or,
cleaned up into better English style: 'He opens [or 'opened' if you
prefer the historical aorist translation] his mouth into blashphemy
toward God.'

I suppose that equally correct might be the translation "And he uttered
blashphemy against God," where "uttered" would translate HNOIXEN TO
STOMA AUTOU, but does it honor the Greek?  SHOULD English even TRY to
honor the Greek way of expression?

I would like to think so, but it doesn't seem to be a common trait among
translators, who seem to like to convey the English sense of the Greek,
but avoid the 'Greek way' of thought expression, if such is a valid
term.

I guess that my hope is that a GNT translation might serve as a course
in itself in the Greek way of thought expression, using English words.
Perhaps my hope is not realistic, and learning the Greek is the only way
to do so.

So I share these wonderings...  In wonder and awe.

Your thoughts?

George

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA