"pros ton theon"

Jan Groenveld Jan.Groenveld at uq.net.au
Sat Jan 30 09:28:34 EST 1999

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, One of the McKays wrote:

> G'day Joseph
>

> >I need to know the occurrences of "pros ton theon" in the Greek NT.  Please
> help.  Email me so I will know that you have answered.
> >
> >Specifically, how many times does this phrase occur.  And why is it not
> translated the same every time?
>
> According to BibleWorks, it occurs 20 times, in
> John 1:1
....snip....
> Revelation 13:6
>
> It is translated according to the context in which it occurs. It would be
> inappropriate to translate its differing meanings with one standard
> translation.
>
> e.g. John 1:1 KAI hO LOGOS HN PROS TON QEON
> And the Word was with God
>
> It is most often translated "to God" and this usually is a good English
> translation, but in Rev 13:6

> KAI HNOIXEN TO STOMA AUTOU EIS BLASFHMIAS PROS TON QEON
> And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God
> is a good translation. "To God" would not be good English, nor would it
> convey that the speaker was doing the opposite from the disciples in the
> great prayer in Acts 4:24

I was taught that PROS indicated a reciprocal action between both parties. That
it was more a 'toward each other' than one toward the other.  ????

This would be why it can be translated in so many different ways to indicate
what tkype of reciprocal action occurred.

^^THE MOST DANGEROUS LIE IS THAT WHICH MOST CLOSELY RESEMBLES THE TRUTH^^
  _--_|\      Cult Awareness Web Page: http://student.uq.edu.au/~py101663
 /  OZ  x <-- Brisbane,      Personal Page: http://www.uq.net.au/~zzjgroen
 \_.--._/     (OZ = Australia)  Cult Awareness & Information Centre