Luke 6:1

Jim West jwest at Highland.Net
Fri Jan 29 07:12:37 EST 1999

At 10:45 AM 1/29/99 -0600, you wrote:

>Maurice indicates that Fitzmyer also notes the appearance of hETERWi
>SABBATWi in Lk 6:6; I suppose that hETERWi here could, in fact, mean simply
>"different" from the occasion in 6:1; certainly Luke is being careful to
>link his narrative units sequentially to each other (although one may
>seriously question whether it's more successful than the sequence in Mk
>2:1-3:6 as a whole!). I just have to say again, however, that I sort of
>expect a "higher" quality of literary Greek in Luke. Maybe that's just my
>own hang-up. "Curiouser and curiouser," Alice might say.
>
>Carl W. Conrad

Carl,

As always your posts are provocative and really fascinating-- with the
somewhat enjoyable effect of causing me to occupy myself with research along
lines not presently on the desk.  Nevertheless...  :-)

Nolland opines (in his Luke commentary for Word) "The added 'en heterw
sabbatw' = "on another sabbath", thereby linking it with what precedes in a
chain of events on various sabbaths.

I pulled down the Computer Concordance to the Novum Testamentum Graece (de
Gruyter) and looked at the uses of sabbaton in Luke.  He uses the word at
the following places:

4:16, 4:31, 6:1,2,5,6,7,9, 13:10,14(2x),15,16, 14:1,3,5, 18:12, 23:54,56, 24:1

20 times...   hmmmm.

Mt uses the word 11 times, Mark 12x, John 13x.  (double hmmmmmmm.....)

by far Luke uses it the most.  He is linking, I think, all the significant
actions of Jesus to the sabbath, so that when the resurrection occurs (as
soon as the sabbath is over) the disciples should, by then, have a clue.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Quartz Hill School of Theology